Saturday, August 4, 2018

Mistakes I Made As Beginner Artists

    First of all before getting into the topic, I, myself isn't that professional at drawing. It's just a hobby of mine. I've drawn for a while to the point where I can tell what's wrong and what's correct. Yeah I know maybe you're thinking "But it's art! There are either no wrongs or rights in drawing!11!" now fam, hol up and just think about it. Would it be okay to draw a human with its eyes on the side of the head and call it a realistic drawing? No, right? please agree with me. And second of all, this 1 post here is just for my Computer's Class, sorry if there's an error. Last but not least, these mistakes are based on my past experiences and other articles of mistakes beginner artist makes

    Have you ever heard of "Practice makes perfect"? See? everyone have heard it. But to me, if you aren't serious in those practice, you won't fulfill your expectation of that phrase. Once you feel confident with your skill, you won't be needing to read this article or not in the first place. Let's get back to the topic, here's a few past mistakes I made and what can you do to overcome them:

1. Not practicing everyday

    I always practices drawing 24/7 since 2015 (?)/Grade 5-6, but I stopped drawing for awhile when it was holiday and boi that was a big mistake. My best advice for beginner artists is to draw everyday, everywhere, and every time when you can. Don't miss the chance because you'll hate that feeling when your hands became stiff from not drawing awhile.

2. Pushing yourself

    When I began to start drawing, I usually feel pretty confident with my scribbling skill but maybe there's always that beginner's feeling when your hand won't listen to your imagination. The thought of "I should be practicing harder/I had to push it to my limit in order to quickly learn" was planted in my head. I often draw to the point where I'm sick of it (again, I'm still in my comfort zone and not trying anything new). Drawings are supposed to be enjoyable, its about creating your fun world but with paying a little bit of attention to a bit of details from the reality.

3. Not getting out of comfort zone

    This one is probably a small mistakes but it can be a big bother for you. I think it's okay if you only draw a certain topic like "I only want draw anime, I don't want to draw plants/monsters" but it's not okay if you want to explore your skill. If you want to be able to draw everything, boi get outta your comfort zone and start scribbling some shits, that piece of paper now is your world, you don't have to feel embarrassed for it. Once you get the hang of it, you won't be feeling embarrassed by it or even you don't have to.

4. Asymmetrical proportion/drawing

    For my case, what causes this was always having your paper in an uncomfortable position from your eyes point of view. The result will be unwanted asymmetrical proportions that differs from your ideal drawing. This always happens to me, and all I can say for this one is: be sure to align your paper to your point of view and hand position(?). Make sure you feel comfortable and able to see clearly from above.

5. Drawing hands and feet

    Yeha, you read it right. Almost every artists hate to draw hands and feet no I'm not talking to those who enjoyed drawing it. But the truth is, it's not that bad. You have to overcome this one if you want to become good at drawing humans or even creatures. When I was younger, I always focus on the facial feature and the body structure, making them as pretty as I can. I didn't care about the hands because it was too complicated to draw and I was afraid it will ruin the rest of my drawing. But as I grew up I started to draw hands frequently, no matter if it's ugly or not.

6. Guidelines and reference

    If you're still beginner/unsure about your drawing's proportion and anatomy, don't be afraid to use guidelines and references. These will help you draw the correct proportion and anatomy. If you didn't, maybe you'll ended up the same as me, regretting not using guidelines, and the result are ridiculous looking drawings.

7. No background

    For years I never wanted to do the backgrounds until I was about 7th grade: my new year resolution was being able to draw backgrounds. Like I said; If you want to explore your skill/make a comic/or even animations, you better start to draw environments, you don't want to always draw floating objects, right? Then start learning this one! but no, I still can't draw backgrounds and I'm still learning now TwT)

8. Being too cocky

    As I said in number two, I usually feel pretty confident at drawing. I always thought I was the best at drawing in people my age, and, ugh. That was a fatal mistakes of mine. I didn't have someone I look up to nor drawings I use as reference. My drawings were straight from my mind, and of course, they were pretty lame. For example: I always drew people with T-shirt and when I tried to draw some elegant, good dresses, I always ended up with the same looking outfits that I've ever drawn. My tips for this one is: stop being cocky and look up some artists for you to idolize, but don't copy them too much and claim it as your own, that's bad.

9. Not learning realism

    My father always advice me to draw traditional and realism first. He said, when I get bored drawing realism or already get the hang of it, I can develop my own unique style. He also said that it's better to master traditional art first, that way, I can draw digital art without any problem. When I was new to drawing, I always thought that it was a simple advice that I can ignore, but now I regretted not learning realism first because I made many mistakes. For example: I started drawing with anime style reference but not realistic reference. The result was I always draws the eyes bigger, nose smaller, bigger head, and, a really tall limbs. For after awhile, I realized that I should be learning realism soon and I actually did. When I can get the hang of it (for example: I can draw a realistic face close to its reference), I tried to mess up the facial feature for my own art style. Although my style is still not different from the usual anime style I still try tho :')

    Aaaaand, these 9 are my past mistakes that I regret not overcome them sooner. But you know, reading this blog won't make anything better rather than reflecting to your art and hating it. please don't be like that. When I was new at art, I enjoy drawing to my heart's content and keep practicing to be better. Although I made many mistakes, I never paid attention to articles like these more like because I didn't use internet and didn't understand English at all. Please keep in mind that these were only past mistakes that I had overcome and I want you to overcome it too! 

    That was all I can say, I hope this was enough for my Computer's Class. And thank you for those who actually read this shit, I'm terribly sorry if there's any mistakes here lol get it? Thank you so much for reading this (2), really. And teach, thank you so much for wasting my time on creating this blog. See you all never!!1!


No comments:

Post a Comment